[chuck-dev] Stereo ugens (again)

Imre Kéri sharp732 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 13:23:38 EST 2007

Hi Gary,

My idea is now the following: Every UGen should work for any number of
input/output channels. When the user creates an UGen, the number of
requested in/out channels for that UGen need to be specified by the
user. The tick() function should then accept/generate the requested
in/out channels. Once the UGen is created, it can be ChucKed to any
other UGen (also to those with different number of channels - or
not??). And each particular channel should be also accessible.

For STK this can mean that for example the constructor of the Effect
class should have two new parameters: the number of in and out
channels. The tick() or tickFrame() function should get as parameter
the incoming frames (one sample for each input channel) and compute
one (or more) sample for each output channel.

Every effect and instrument should find a meaningful implementation
what to do when the user requests it to work on N channels (or it
might refuse some channel combinations?). A noise generator might
compute only one mono sample of noise and simply copy it to every
output channel, or it might generate separate noise for each channel.
A reverb can use a different algorithm if requested for 2 channels
than it uses when requested for 1 channel.

This may require some changes in the existing code, but I like this
solution beause it seems very flexible... In ChucK it would be even
possible to have a new syntax for the requested number of channels and
compile-time checking for channel stuff...

   Imre