[chuck-dev] video playback/processing

Brad Garton garton at columbia.edu
Fri Jan 18 20:18:01 EST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 6:27 PM, Jeremy Hunt wrote:

> I would love to use chuckian logic directly on video processes.

yeah!  fun stuff!

> Jitter is a pain.

And agreed there, too.  For the minimal jitter stuff I've done, I've
shoved my ancient OpenGL knowledge into those godawful textedit
things.  I just started fooling around with generating OpenGL command
in lisp, seeing if that gets anywhere...

> I like the ability to script now with javascript or use java to do
> procedural stuff.  I think being able to reason about video
> timelines natively in chuck without having to deal with bridging
> environments would be really cool.  Is it possible or would it be
> to slow?

Good question.  My fear is that efficiency would become a problem in
a seamlessly-scalable language like cHuCk.  The jitter approach was
to use a matrix-calc substrate, I wonder if such a thing could be
ChuCk-ified.  I'm also a big fan of using Other People's Stuff (hence
my employment of max-msp for interface and vid work); I wonder if GEM
could be imported into cHuCK somehow?  Bear in mind I have no idea
what I'm talking about...

brad
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad