[chuck-dev] LiSa revised - fixed many bugs (PATCH)

Robin Haberkorn robin.haberkorn at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 9 08:36:20 EDT 2012

On 09/09/12 12:49, Ge Wang wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I second Kassen and would like to say rock on to your chuckian coding
> rampage so far!

Never mind! That's the open source spirit. I do this because I need it
myself.

>>> btw. I see many examples in the ChucK code where comments are used to
>>> denote author and subject of a change. Why are you doing that? If every
>>> developer writes proper commit messages you may just as well use "svn
>>> blame" (or later "git blame") and "svn log".
>
> I think putting when/by-whom a change is introduced inline in the code
> tends to naturally improve the information about context and intention,
> and in ways that outside-of-code things like 'git blame' doesn't do (and
> yet it doesn't undermine 'git blame' -- one can still do that as per
> usual).  It's meant to be additive to the usual good practices (e.g.,
> proper commit messages), not a substitute.  Now, I don't claim this is
> good or bad practice, but it seems useful for chuck, and that's why
> we've chosen to do this.

Ok, can live with it. It's just very uncommon practice because this is
what the VCS can do for you.
The problem is that currently in SVN, not everyone is writing proper
commit messages, so the comments are sometimes the only way to find out
about a certain change. I'm a proponent of verbose commit messages.

I nevertheless hope that when switching to Git you won't do a clean
import and lose all of the change history like you did when you switched
from CVS. I recommend to use git-svn to do the import. Takes only a few
minutes to set up properly (mostly the SVN username to Name/EMail
mapping) and you don't have to care about resyncing with SVN since you
will abandon the SVN repository afterwards, I think.