[chuck-users] semi complicated midi setup

Adam Tindale adamtindale at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 23:20:48 EST 2005

Hi,

I have a system for doing what you propose to do,  but I don't know
if it will work for you. I have a drum controller that spits out midi
that I route to different performance patches. I have a variety of
chuck files that I use for this.

drums.ck is a patch that has a class drum. The drum class has a bunch
of static events and static data (velocities).
mapping.ck is a patch that takes the midi input from the controller
and sets the static data in drum and then broadcasts events

tune1.ck tune2.ck etc these patches all have shreds that listen for
events in the drum class and then trigger an action.

I also have a couple of synth and sampler classes that behave the way
I like that I can use in the tunes. When I play live I will load all
of my synth classes and drums.ck and mapping.ck and then chuck and
unchuck each tune as we get to them.

This is one suggestion but my implementation will be much different
since I am using a drum controller and I only have 10 things to play,
unlike having 3 keyboards.

This is the way I do things now. I have been using ChucK for a long
time and I think that Graham made an excellent suggestion by
designing for a long time and then implement. Do a lot of research
into the language and figure out how to pass messages between shreds
and use the class system. You may want to start with one patch that
does everything and then as you get more involved you can start to
rip modules out and store them in different files. That is how I
built my system. It took months of building and rebuilding.

Good luck.

--art