[chuck-users] The ChucK Manual prerelease

Adam Tindale adamtindale at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 26 20:35:54 EST 2005

Hi Eduard,

Thanks for your comments. I agree about having more thorough
documentation. I will add the changes you suggest. I don't have time
to add in an example for everything in the docs. I also don't know
when things break or change. Sometimes I hear about it and sometimes
I don't. I am more than happy to make small changes and keep the
manual as up to date as possible. If you have any small patches that
demonstrate ugen parameters I would love to add them to the docs.
That goes for all you ChucKers out there. This is a community
project. Let's all help each other!

Please let me know anything that you would like to see in the manual.
I am the documentation editor. I develop some of the docs, but most
of it has been developed by Ge, Ananya and Phil. They deserve a big
round of applause.

The docs should help you learn ChucK. If they don't then let me know.

Thanks for your input.

--art

On 26-Nov-05, at 4:34 AM, eduard wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I think you have done a great job on writing the documentation,
> however I have found that it is not "completely" up to date.
> For instance, when I use impulse.value() I get an error like class
> 'impulse' has no member 'value'.

Right, I haven't put that in yet. Will do. Thanks for pointing it out.

> The same for things like math.pi, which now seems it's only pi.
This I am not aware of, but thanks for pointing it out. Maybe this
should be fixed so that old patches aren't broken. Ge?

> But both of them ( impulse.value() and math.pi() ) appear in the
> documentation. These two examples are the only ones I can remember
> now, but I think I found other ones in the past, but not sure now.
>
> I would find very useful to have more explicit examples for each
> UGen, such as  writing an example in which you use all (or most of)
> the members.
> Also, I would give an interval, when possible, for the values they
> can take and give a little explanation for each member depending on
> the values they take. i.e:
> .rate [0, inf)  a rate of 0 would mean blablabla and a rate of 2
> would mean blablablabla
>
> Explaining every member can be a bit redundant, but sometimes it is
> not that clear how you can use them and what values make sense.
>

> I hope this feedback is useful,

Extremely, thank you.