[chuck-users] i/o and networking from chuck

Adam Tindale adamtindale at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 23:12:41 EST 2005

Hi,

I would suggest using std.system. This will allow you to use your shell.

std.system("ls");

This will do ls in the directory you launched ChucK from.

You could do what you want by setting up curl or wget and using a
shell script to parse the text and get what you want. The problem is
getting the info into ChucK. The system() command will give you the
return code of the system call. You may have to use something else to
grab the data and send it into ChucK via OSC or MIDI.

Right now ChucK's abilities at dealing with strings is very limited.
I don't know of a way of reading a text file into ChucK. If you could
do that then you could run your shell scripts and output the data to
a file that you kept reading in ChucK periodically.

That is about all that comes to mind. I hope it helps.

--art