[chuck-users] building an instrument library

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:09:39 EST 2005

Hi

I'm just beginning to explore chuck.

I set out to find a way to seperate instrument definitions from
note-playing-code. I wrapped up my result so far and put them here:

http://www.atte.dk/download/modular_instrument_defs.tgz

The README.txt explains what to do with it, but let me re-state the
problems I have:

1. Removing a shread (by "chuck - SOME_ID") stops the shred in the
    middle of the current note, resulting in a click.

2. Since a new shread is sporked on each note, the shread ID's quickly
    grow to inconveniently large proportions. The reason for sporking
    each note is an attempt to rid the pattern of any knowledge of the
    time it actually takes to play the note.

3. Sometimes adding the hh.ck pattern (not the instrument) is playing
    the first note very loud.

Of course this is heavily inspired by the otf_* files and reveals my so
far very limited understanding of chuck. But eventually I think some way
of seperating out instrument design (and other stuff as well; keys,
scales, tempo and meter comes to mind) would benefit my productivity in
the long run...

I'm not at all sure that this is the way to go, so I'd appreciate any
feedback. How many of my problems are due to bugs, wrong implementations
or conceptual misunderstanding?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte