[chuck-users] I must be missing something

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 09:50:10 EDT 2006

On 4/5/06, Ge Wang <gewang at cs.princeton.edu> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> > I have decided to go a different route with my project. I am going to
> > use iTunes for what it is good for (managing and playing encoded audio),
> > perl for what it is good for (parsing GPS data and talking with
> > databases), and I would like to ChucK too.
>
> Sounds wise.
>
> > Ideally, I would like to inject ChucK right before the sound from iTunes
> > hits the speakers. I would like to play with the pitch and the panning.
> > Is this possible? If not, can you think of another way to accomplish my
> > goal?

If you swapped out iTunes for a command-line mp3 player, you could
control all your project's pieces with a shell script.  ;-)

> If you are running OSX, you can get audio from iTunes (or any other audio
> program) into ChucK using Soundflower or Jack (the OSX version of Jack is
> still relatively early in development),

I use Jack OSX and it works like a charm.  Any app that makes any
sound with coreaudio can be routed to any other app that receives
audio.  It's brilliant.  Soundflower works more or less the same way.

> or another application level
> audio routing software.
>
>      http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower
>
> If things work properly, then the output of iTunes can be received and
> processed using ChucK's adc input.
>
> Best,
> Ge!

Cheers,
Mike

--
"Only puny secrets need protection. Big discoveries are protected by public
incredulity."

           -Marshall McLuhan