[chuck-users] ChucK output bit depth, etc. (OS X)

mrcarp at comcast.net mrcarp at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 10:41:46 EDT 2006

From: Ge Wang <gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU>
> Hi Matt!
>
> > What is ChucK's default output bit-depth?
>
> By default, ChucK talks to CoreAudio at 32-bit floating point.
>
> > 16? every time I run it from the command line is resets the bit
> > depth in OS X 10.4.7's Audio MIDI Settings to 16 bits. Is there a
> > way to specify this.
>
> Currently, there is no way to specify this.  It would be worth
> adding!  It's strange that it's getting set to 16-bit.  Are you using
> the universal binary downloaded from site?

Yes, I am. Good to know this, though.  It's very odd that the Audio MIDI settings can be changed like that by various applications (not just ChucK).  But yes, if I reset it to 24 bit, the moment I run ChucK it returns to 16.

> Also, run --probe, which may tell you more about the available devices:
>
>      > chuck --probe

Will do, thanks.

> > Also, when I run MiniAudicle (MacBook, 10.4.7), adding a shred
> > containing access to the dac causes MiniAudicle to crash. I've tried
> > numerous different settings in both the MiniAudicle preferences and in
> > OS X's Audio MIDI settings.
>
> There is a bug in the intel version of the miniAudicle that causes
> real-time audio to crash.  I believe Spencer has fixed this issue and
> will release a new version today.

That's awesome!

Thanks a lot... see you on electro-music.com forum, as well!

(cebec)