[chuck-users] strings via osc and more..

tazumi tazumi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 10:54:48 EST 2006

Hi,

thanks for the reply..

the osc function addString ... thinking about that now i have no idea why i
didn't just try that.. :-/
sometimes i wonder how stupid one (me) can be :-)

>> another question is about System Information from within chuck..
>> are there functions
>> that for example return information about all available midi ports
>> - as a list, an array or
>> something similar? (like the VM option --probe)

>Not currently, no, although something like that would be good to have.

yes that would really be good.. also a function that reports the running
shreds the same way.

> I think one hack-y option would be to parse the output of chuck --
> probe directly in your UI.  But ultimately it would be nice to be
> able to access that information in ChucK directly.

yes i thought about that but yet i didn't get this to work correct.. seems
to be a common
problem (maybe only windows?) that some of the output can only be read when
the concole app exits.. i will see..

thanks
-tz

2006/12/8, Spencer Salazar <ssalazar at cs.princeton.edu>:

> Hi Tazumi,
>
> On Dec 8, 2006, at 7:42 AM, tazumi wrote:
>
> > Hi List,
> >
> > hello to everybody.. i am new to this list..
> >
> > i have got a question about sending strings with the osc class..
> > ist this possible?
> > The manual says that the osc object has 2 member functions
> > (addInt / addFloat)..
> > so is there a way to send (or revieve) other data types?
>
> It seems the manual is out of date in this regard, it is in fact
> possible to send strings in ChucK's OSC implementation.  Just use an
> "s" for the type specifier and addString to supply the string.
> getString will retrieve the string on the listener end.
>
> > another question is about System Information from within chuck..
> > are there functions
> > that for example return information about all available midi ports
> > - as a list, an array or
> > something similar? (like the VM option --probe)
>
> Not currently, no, although something like that would be good to have.
>
> > Currently i am working on a kind of chuck user interface.. i want
> > the UI and chuck to
> > communicate over OSC - so a way to get Information about the
> > current Environment
> > (from within chuck and send them to the UI) would really be great...
>
> I think one hack-y option would be to parse the output of chuck --
> probe directly in your UI.  But ultimately it would be nice to be
> able to access that information in ChucK directly.
>
> spencer
>

> > thanks
> >
> > -- tazumi

tazumi