[chuck-users] running chuck as a process with no terminal?

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 02:52:12 EST 2006

joerg piringer wrote:
> altern wrote:
>> ok here you are some info : I am working in two levels, on the one hand
>> i am part of this project to develop experimental interfaces for music .
>> www.ixi-software.net
>> as a part of that we have been developing over the last couple of years
>> a python graphic toolkit to create our applications, this is the result
>> so far http://www.ixi-software.net/mirra
>> It uses pygame by default but in a second step of the development I want
>> to be able to have a opengl canvas in a specific area of the application
>> and have normal wxpython GUI elements such as buttons, menus, drag and
>> drop etc... This is where i am now.
>
> ah!
> we've met in bergen a couple of weeks ago, did we?
> i was presenting my text software...

hehe. sure, we talked in between concerts about some python stuff
related to OSC and your software. I did not remember your name.

>> Up to now i was working on PD for the sound engine using OSC to
>> communicate. But recently I decided to give a go to ChucK as I was
>> frustrated with some issues on PD. Since I discovered the joys of ChucK
>> I am working towards integrating Mirra+ChucK, this is the application i
>> am developing at the moment where I am testing the whole system.
>> http://devel.goto10.org/svn/ixi/python/slicer
>> The chuck patch is in the data folder, not very complex stuff yet.
>> Hopefully once I get the wxpython right again (it was ok but stopped
>> working at some point) it will have a menu, status bar and importing
>> dialogues. And again all this has to work in all platforms ...
>
> i was already tempted to rewrite OSCSurface in wxPython as i am really
> fed up with c++, but i am not sure if it's worth the effort as there's a
> winXP version of miniAudicle now.

mm... c++... Minaudicle is ok butif not because of the syntax coloring
I would prefer to use any normal editor.

> trying out your code i failed because python couldn't import "tools".
> a quick websearch didn't reveal anything specific to "python and tools".

did you download all the files from the svn server? there is a python
module called tools.py that needs to be next to the slicer.py. On top of
that you need the usual pygame, pyopengl, and mirra itself. I also have
a py2exe package for windows, but it is not available there, too big.

enrike