[chuck-users] A example that needs correction

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 08:39:53 EDT 2007

On 8/19/07, Martin Ahnelöv <operagasten at gmail.com> wrote:

> After probing my system with chuck --probe, I found out that my sound
> card only supported 16 bit-audio. Is that why it sounds like someone
> have applied great amount of compression on the audio? Can someone test
> if this is true on other systems aswell?
>
> (Ah, yeah, I've added a lowpass filter to the patch, but that shouldn't
> do that, right?)

Well, no, remember that plain audio CD's are 16 bit too and those *can*
sound marvelous. There are limitations to 16 bit but with regard to
listening I'd say that for dynamics neighbours are a larger bottleneck then
16 bit (asuming a linear implementation).

LP filters shouldn't compress, unless of course most of your dynamics are in
the high end, in that case you'll end up with less dynamics (but not realy
compression as such).

The sad thing is that cheap soundcards have cheap DAC's and cheap DAC's tend
to have problems in the high end which is a bad match for fm which already
has a tendency towards aliassing. IF you have good ears that can get quite
offensive.

Sorry, just packed up the big soundcard so I can't test your piece right
now. You could try rendering it to .wav and burning it to CD to test on the
nearest hi-fi?

Hope that helps a bit?