[chuck-users] SndBuf causes hickup

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 01:36:05 EDT 2007

Scott Wheeler wrote:

> Just another friendly, geeeky, explanation of what you're seeing -- when
> you cat everything to /dev/null, that effectively puts all of those
> samples into memory.

Yes, I'm aware of that :-)

> However, that's not connected to CPU performance; it's much more
> connected to hard drive speed and more specifically how the OS
> prioritizes different operations and how much of the file system
> information it keeps in memory.

I know that, too. My point is just my system seems fast enought, I can
do 20+ tracks in ardour (which admittedly knows which samples should be
played in advance). And my HD is performing ok:

ajstrup:~# hdparm -t /dev/hda4
/dev/hda4:
  Timing buffered disk reads:  122 MB in  3.01 seconds =  40.47 MB/sec

It would be nice if chuck had a way of filling a SndBuf in the
background, it should be finished when it's ready but should cause no
hickups, and an a possibly with an ability to check at any given time if
the reading has been completed.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte