[chuck-users] ~

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 09:07:54 EST 2007

garton at columbia.edu wrote:
> Quoting Scott Wheeler <wheeler at kde.org>:
>
> I don't know much about the max/msp policy, but I think Cycling
> imagines it as a development environment and standalones/plugins
> are not covered by any Cycling rights-claims.  There is a weirdness
> with Windows, if anyone is interested I recall some discussion in
> the archives.

I just grabbed the SDK and took a peek.  It is definitely GPL
incompatible as it requires linking to a non-OSS library.  This isn't so
much about the Max/MSP SDK license as the ChucK one.

See:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

As such, chuck~ violates ChucK's license, not Cycling '74's.  Again, I
doubt the ChucK authors are deeply offended, but it'd be nice if their
intent is to allow such things that such were made explicit.  There are
a number of ways to do that (the GPL provides a mechanism for
exceptions, there are also popular more permissive licenses, the popular
variations, in order of permissiveness being BSD, MPL and LGPL.).

-Scott