[chuck-users] analog to digital conversion simulation

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 06:05:37 EDT 2007

On 10/13/07, eduard aylon <eduard.aylon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> got something more usable, but still get some sort of grainy sound. I
> am using a spectral filter in order to obtain a steeper filter and
> guess the grainy sound comes from there. If someone could comment on
> this, I'd be very thankful. Files attached below.

Comments? Well I think it's very clever. I also think it's quite normal that
this will sound somewhat grainy because you are in fact using a grain-like
technique.... And I think it's entirely normal that it turns out to be hard
to make a artefact-free brick-wall filter (see articles on how various DAW's
handle re-sampling *cough*).

THE way to handle re-sampling filtering should be a sinx/x function (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinc_function ), modern hardware converters
(which I gather you are after) often use a FIR filter, I think, and as I
wrote in my previous note about this you could make one of those using LiSa.
In fact once the update Dan just announced arrives I think you could
basically feed this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinc_filter straight to
LiSa's buffer.

Hope that's of some help.