[chuck-users] Python problems

AlgoMantra algomantra at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 02:41:56 EDT 2007

Hi Joe,

Thank you for a very inspiring response.

To wrap up my grudge from the earlier thread, firstly, I was merely
expressing frustration at a situation en generale, before someone
made it personal (Googling for Indian new media artists etc.)  by when
the discussion had gone sufficiently off-topic. If anyone wanted to know
about my work, anyone can simply ask me for a dekko.

Another problem, say -  if I wanted to discuss granular synthesis using
ChucK,
should I promptly make my way to the gran-synth list somewhere? I'm just
trying to say that before one tells someone to buzz off a list, one should
consider
broader ramifications of words like "topic" and "category", especially if
one
considers oneself any kind of artist. "Everything touches everything", as
Borges used to say.

It does seem sometimes as if the Web is a cornucopia of instant
gratification - so many things *are* available just for the asking,
The fact that this one isn't should make you very happy! You have an
opportunity to be "that guy" who's the one people think of when the
subject of realtime music processing in Python comes up ... but only
if you're willing to pursue the problem yourself, including all the
hard bits and "aw crap I have to learn this/write this/figure this
out from first principles".

I'd *love* to hear what you finally come up with when you get there
-- but I'm afraid it's probably going to be your own road.

You are so on the money, if you fidgeted you'd hear the sound of all
those gold coins shuffling.  I'll try my best. It is now certainly a problem
worth pursuing.

As an afterthought, have you seen the Snack package (http://
www.speech.kth.se/snack/)? It seems to have capabilities that you
might be able to use with sufficient work, but Im pretty sure it's
not an out-of-the-box fit.

I was going to give Snack a try some time ago, after reading some of the
basic documentation. I got a little wary when I realised that the last
update was on December 14, 2005. And I might have to install Python 2.3
over and besides 2.5 which I currently use. I somehow think that is a messy
solution. I could be wrong too.

On 9/18/07, Joe McMahon <mcmahon at ibiblio.org> wrote:

> I can understand that you're having some frustration with your
> project. The folks here have pointed you to stuff they thought would
> help. It didn't. This happens.
>
> Most of the time, if you're asking a question which has some real
> meat to it (and yours does), the answers you get from just asking
> people at relatively speaking random don't help much other than to
> point you toward some possibilities and to confirm that you have a
> lot of work to do.
>
> If you can pull off realtime FFTs in Python and get something
> musically interesting out of it, you've done something that would
> probably qualify as graduate-level computer music work. I have to say
> I'm not surprised that someone else couldn't just hand you a solution!
>
> It does seem sometimes as if the Web is a cornucopia of instant
> gratification - so many things *are* available just for the asking,
> The fact that this one isn't should make you very happy! You have an
> opportunity to be "that guy" who's the one people think of when the
> subject of realtime music processing in Python comes up ... but only
> if you're willing to pursue the problem yourself, including all the
> hard bits and "aw crap I have to learn this/write this/figure this
> out from first principles".
>
> I'd *love* to hear what you finally come up with when you get there
> -- but I'm afraid it's probably going to be your own road.
>
> As an afterthought, have you seen the Snack package (http://
> www.speech.kth.se/snack/)? It seems to have capabilities that you
> might be able to use with sufficient work, but Im pretty sure it's
> not an out-of-the-box fit.
>
>   --- Joe M.

-------
1/f   )))