[chuck-users] I Put A Physics Engine In Chuck

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 10:08:29 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> Zed;
>
>> I needed a
>> physics engine in chuck, so I put one in there:
>
> Great attitude!
>
> You may be interested in this;
> http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-30458.html
>
> This is a initiative by Steve(Radarsat1) to allow us to create, share and
> test user-generated UGen's, to eventually be merged with the main release
> if/when some are stable, useful and coherent. This is in a early stage but
> it may still be of interest to you.

Yeah sorry I haven't had time to mess with this more lately.
Maybe I'll get back into it throughout the christmas break.
I'm a little wary of doing it without discussion with the official
chuck devs, maybe we should discuss the idea more on chuck-dev at .

>> http://rafb.net/p/SRbR9A13.html
>>
>> That's a sample from my hack in progress.  I just put in Box2D_Lite for
>> now to get the idea working, but so far it's pretty nice.
>>
>> Right now all I've got is a Physics UGen that lets you put in an
>> observer and a sound source, and then set their movement.  It will then
>> determine the distance and adjust the gain.  Next up is pan for
>> left/right of observer, colliding events, and maybe a doppler effect
>> pitch shift based on velocity.
>
> Way cool, is if I understand this correctly what you are aiming at here is a
> UGen that models the effect of physics on sounds (so basically acoustics)?
> Or will this be a more general thing, for example to use emulations of
> physical processes likes mass-spring systems, collisions, etc to generate
> controler data as well?
>
> Either way; a lovely initiative, I hope you will develop this further and
> keep us up to date.

This is indeed cool and useful.
In this context, I wanted to point out another software project of
mine, which might be useful if you don't need sample-accurate physics
but are just using rigid bodies to control basic modulation:
http://idmil.org/software/dimple

It's a program that essentially provides an OSC wrapper for the Open
Dynamics Engine so that any language that can talk OSC can instantiate
ODE objects and get information about when they move or collide.  You
can also interact with the physics simulation using haptic devices.

Steve