[chuck-users] feature ideas

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Jun 22 01:27:30 EDT 2008

>> Or ChucK could drop these data type shenanigans entirely. Really, who's
>> benefiting?
>
> Well, I didn't want to come right out and say it, but dynamic typing
> seemed like a no-brainer for a livecoding language.

Definitely relevant points, and certainly have been considered, and as
with many things, we are continuing to evaluate different possibilities,
including when/how dynamic typing is beneficial for a language like ChucK
(I don't think either static or dynamic is the better solution all across
the board).

In terms of on-the-fly proramming, and not necessarily taking a
particular stance on various shades of typing dynamism, one can make an
argument that having static typing in many cases can facilitate aspects
of live coding, as different semantic/syntactic contracts between the
programming language and programmer present different "cognitive loads"
when writing code.  I'd say it depends on the nature of the thing being
live coded, and I think we can find cases that would benefit from static
and from dynamic typing.  Finding a balance would be a totally rad area of
future investigations.

Best,
Ge!