[chuck-users] cheap parallel ChucKing

Rogan Carr rogan.carr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 12:34:37 EST 2009

Hi Graham,

The only drawback that I can see is that the OS will need to use one
of the cores from time to time, so you shouldn't be able to max out
both 100% of the time.  But if you're not doing much communication
with the outside world other than through your soundcard, you
shouldn't really see a performance hit, I don't think.  I've seen in
some multicore supercomputers that you can only run on like 7 of 8
cores per node, because you need the last core to manage system calls
and inter-node communications.  That said, I don't think that there's
such a heavy demand on communications on a two-core stand-alone box
that you would see an effect.

Here's a question I have -- if they are both based on the same system
clock, will the two instances of chuck stay in sync, time-wise?

Cheers,
Rogan