[chuck-users] dur frame?

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Feb 17 07:47:15 EST 2009

Howdy,

On Feb 17, 2009, at 4:10 AM, Kassen wrote:

> Hi, Spencer!
>

>> Im not quite sure what you are specifically finding odd/disturbing
>> here--feel free to elaborate further if maybe I missed something.
>
> Hmmm, I was under the impression that events coming from outside of
> the VM (like HID, MIDI and OSC) were only processed at the start of a
> new buffer, hence getting them at other times would indicate -to me-
> something quite odd going on.

Cool, glad I could shed some light here.

>> I agree that a buffer size constant is pretty useful; I think this
>> will
>> actually probably be implemented soon since its pretty easy to do.
>
> Great, thanks.
>
> One thing I'm now confused about though is the use to this if it turns
> out ChucK can and does process events in between buffers. I think we
> should proceed with this as more features are better, especially more
> meaningful durations but with my new knowledge gained in this
> discussion I'm now unsure where *you* see the use for this as I'm now
> no longer sure I see how much buffer sizes will matter from a
> perspective within the language.

In situations where CPU is at a premium, specifying control rates in
terms of integral multiples (or integral divisions) of the buffer size
can have significant effects on audio reliability and responsiveness
of anything else running on the same system.  This isn't really
noticeable on the modern multi-core desktop/laptop (perhaps a case for
not making this a standard feature), but can be quite relevant to
phone/netbook/embedded environments.

spencer