[chuck-users] Reactable

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 15:12:41 EDT 2009

Hans,

> I am really thinking about the usability of the interface for musical
> purposes. The Reactable TUI is a little like the Theremin, which is nice for
> making cool sounds with, but really hard for playing actual music (not
> intending a discussion about "what is music").

It's just an interface technology--not an application.  You can place
the fiducials on objects and the software will determine position and
orientation of the object on the table.  It also attempts to give you
primitive touch (i.e. finger-finding) information.  Now, what you DO
with this technology--in other words: your particular application--can
be judged as musical/non-musical or a good/bad application of the
technology.  So, if you design a theremin using the Reactables
technology, then you'll have a table-top theremin.  If you design a
composition tool, then you'll be looking at it in a completely
different light.

I think that this conversation was really about ChucK's OSC
implementation, which is not fully complete if you read the OSC spec.
I'm unsure, however, where stuff like this falls in the priority list
of the dev'rs.

-Mike

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 3:41 AM, Hans Aberg<haberg at math.su.se> wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2009, at 06:01, mike clemow wrote:
>
>>> I liked the way oscillators were connected, which is a bit ChucKish. But
>>> as
>>> for the interface, as one only has two hands usually, perhaps two

--
http://michaelclemow.com
http://semiotech.org