[chuck-users] chuck-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 28

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Sun Jun 28 03:57:38 EDT 2009

On 28 Jun 2009, at 01:02, Kassen wrote:

> Finally got it to work
>
> I deleted the chuck file out of /usr/bin
>
> Unpacked the chuck installer package, copied it to my applications.
>
> Odd, it seems that /usr/bin/ plays a bit of a different role on OSX
> than it does in Linux.

There is no functional difference. In fact, I have mine in /usr/local/
bin/:
   $ which chuck
   /usr/local/bin/chuck

This is the recommended place for user installed components; /usr/bin/
is reserved for UNIX system components.

The drawback is that one has to set PATH (say in .profile for Terminal
and .bashrc for X11 xterm or in the environment.plist file). See <http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCEnvironment/

This program is useful too, to set file name extensions and more:
   http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

> I started to suspect that already a few days ago when a friend let
> me poke around on her MacBook and I noticed dirs like that were
> completely invisible from the graphical shell.

The Finder, wich is just another UNIX program, hides it away. I have
added /usr/ to my file list. Go to the Finder menu Go -> Go to Folder
and type /usr/.

Alternatively, go to Terminal and type 'open /usr/'.

Applications are directory bundles which contain an ordinary UNIX
program. If you want to have more than one Calculator in the Finder
GUI, try repeat in Terminal:
   /Applications/Calculator.app/Contents/MacOS/Calculator &

When a UNIX program of an Application is started from the Finder, it
gets a startup argumenr. Perhaps it is used to identify it it when
sending AppleEvents, or something. One can see this values by 'ps -x'
in Terminal.

   Hans