[chuck-users] Laptop Battle

Les Hall inventor-66 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 10 03:13:59 EST 2009

This year at the electro-music 2009 festival, I did the ChucK community
proud by winning the Laptop Battle along with a guy who played some
awesome guitar (there were two winners this year).  My routine was
good, but for next year the electro-music 2008 Laptop Battle winner has
thrown down the gauntlet and challenged me to a new five-minute timed
battle!  It's all in good fun, of course, yet I take the competition
seriously.

My performance will consist of a program controlled by one or two
accelerometer boards such that when I move my hand(s) around, ChucK
makes noise.  I'll do dance or Tai Chi type motions and generate sound
from ChucK that will thrill the audience!  Right now I'm just
collecting sounds to later stitch together into an application.
Already kijjaz and I have created some very nice Thunder and Cannon
Fire (posted to the wiki if you want the code), yet what is still
lacking are two sounds:  Lightning and what I can only call "Ripping a
Hole in the Fabric of Space-Time", an eerie and ominous sound made by
sweeping a hand from side to side.   Maybe I'll light up some traffic
flares and hold them in my hands during the performance for dramatic
effect?

Anyway, I'm calling on the ChucK community to provide me with some
awesome engaging sounds.  The battle isn't until September so we have
lots of time to work on this, though I'd like to get something fleshed
out in the next few months so I can practice and use the routine at
sooner festivals.  So give me your best!  If you only have an idea for
an algorithm, that will do nicely, I'll code it up and test it...  You
got your game on?

Les
(Inventor)
For those about to ChucK we salute you!  - Ge Wang!