[chuck-users] chuck/[mini]audicle vs. gcc 4.4.x

Fri Sep 4 20:43:27 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 19:25 +0200, Kassen wrote:
> Fernando;
>

>         I'm also hitting this error in miniaudicle and audicle, any
>         help?:
>
> For the Mini it's most likely caused by the Mini still using 1.2.1.1
> which doesn't play nicely with newer and more strict versions of GCC.
> The trick is to take your Mini source, look fo rthe ChucK dir and
> replace all of the files in that with the files from the source of
> ChucK 1.2.1.2. That will make it compile and you'll end up with a Mini
> that uses the latest version of ChucK. I don't think it's worth
> patching as the result of this workaround is superior to what you'd
> get with a patch for ChucK 1.2.1.1.

I did that and it seems to work fine. It does require patching the
makefiles as well to include -fno-strict-aliasing to bypass an
optimization problem (feature?) of the newer gcc (see another message in
this thread).

> For the Audicle this -sadly- doesn't work. I do like the Audicle and
> the ideas behind it but right now the only version available is based
> on a version of ChucK that's so badly out of date that I have a hard
> time reccomending using the Audicle for anything more serious than
> demonstrating experimental interfaces for programming.

Hmmm, I managed to get a hybrid version of the audicle going. It _seems_
to work but I'm not yet a chucker so I can't really test.

I added chuck 1.2.1.2 (with a couple of patches), then some more patches
to deal with const char ** issues (argv related) in the audicle codebase
and voila, compiled fine and started. As before no _real_ testing.

> I hope that helps,

Thanks... So there are now chuck/miniaudicle/audicle versions on fc11
that appear (maybe) to work.

-- Fernando