[chuck-users] record and play multiple LiSa objects on multiple channels

Harald Gutsche hg42 at gmx.net
Sun Apr 10 15:24:51 EDT 2011

Kas (this is your name, right?),

>> ok, the voices are a special thing, I didn't take them into account.
>
> LiSa is really way more involved than the rest, more powerful but also a bit
> more tricky to understand.

I first learned about LiSa as a recorder. Which is why I didn't expect
things like the voices.
Then I learned that LiSa is more a flexible sample player than a recorder.

Currently I am re-visiting the WvOut and WaveLoop ugens. At the
beginning when I didn't know much of chuck I made a silly mistake,
which made me think I couldn't use them for my purpose. But now I
found that they work well for me. LiSa is very nice for playing the
same sample in multiple ways (different frequency etc.), but for my
project it is a little oversized.

>> C++'s polymorphic functions are often a problematic concept. Perhaps
>> rateVoice would be a better name. Or e.g. my_lisa.voice(v).rate(2.0)
>> would make it more clear.
>
> Yes, but at the expense of uniformity.

hmm, I don't think. Lisa's voices are special, no other ugens have them, right?
Looking at lisa's concept there wouldn't be a rate() or rate(float),
these are shortcuts for rate(0) or rate(0, float).
So the problem is generated by two kinds of polymorphism.

> Personally I'm very much in favour of
> keeping things uniform as that means there are less surprises and there is
> less to learn.

I agree...but then the shortcut isn't really needed.

> I feel all of this should be fine here. The dev-list is where the dev
> discussion "should" go but for some reason it isn't. I don't know. :-)

ok, better some traffic, than none :-)
what do others think? Are you bothered by such discussions?