[chuck-users] Multiline Braille display

tempjayren at gmail.com tempjayren at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 00:47:22 EDT 2011

On 8/25/2011 12:29 AM, Rich Caloggero wrote:
> I think forcing indentation on someone (ala Python) is just wrong.
> This is unfortunate, since python seems like a very powerful
> language. You can get the screen reader to read out indentation (3
> spaces, 5 spaces, etc), and I'm sure there are many blind folks out
> there who enjoy coding in Python,

i've actually done a small bit of looking in to this, it appears the
screen reader nvda is actually coded in that language.

 but I really wish indentation was not part of the language
> definition -- seems kind of like a step backward in language
> design (Fortran anyone)!

guess that means i can remove the directory and its contents called
"learning python" though what language would be a good replacement?
rather, what language that meets all the criteria of being free (or
cheap), has tools that work with my screen reader, will compile, has
plenty of teachable stuff from the aspect of the blind
programmer/newbie, likely some stuff i'm forgetting here.

> I'm a screen reader user,

really? what is your reader of choice?

 and find indentation totally unnecessary. The
> way I deal with c-style languages is to mark my end braces with a
> comment:
>
> while (true) { // ... } // while
>
> I also tend to stay away from deeply nested code if I can.
>
> function f(x) { if (! x) return false; // more stuff } // f
>
> This last bit is obviously very contrived, but if you dispatch all
> tests for undesired conditions first and return, then you don't
> need deeply nested conditional blocks. Obviously, nested loops are
> quite another thing and if you need them, you need them.
>
> As for the multiline display -- I've been wanting one of those for
> as long as I've been programming. I have not tried it, but there is
> some sort of tactile mouse out there that will pop up braille as
> you move around

really? what company makes that? i wanna have a go at their website
and read about the thing.

, but this really doesn't
> help much. To get a real kinesthetic sense of layout, its very
> helpful to have two hands involved. Your brain is adapted for the
> use of both hands and can map this much more easily into sort sort
> of internal spacial image. I could not imagine trying to read a map
> with one finger

what about the iphone? this has the flat display that you touch, and
with voiceover feedback, to my way of thinking, this would be
equivalent to that map example you just mentioned.

.