[chuck-users] chuck for live coding

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 23:24:26 EST 2011

2011/1/4 Jordan Orelli <jordanorelli at gmail.com>:
> I think what Ronni meant was that he's looking for a ChucK
> read-eval-print-loop, like python, irb, or even "php -a" (and of course the
> Lisp REPL).  That way you could do something like start out by creating a
> UGen and issue a command to alter its properties at the command line.
> Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think the ChucK compilation cycle prevents
> such a thing from existing on a language level, and the lack of an eval
> statement would make it impossible to allow you to execute arbitrary
> statements within a running shred.

The closest you get from the shell is that you can put arbitrary ChucK
code between {} brackets and it will spork it.  That's not bad, but I
know what you mean, it's not exactly the same as a REPL.

> Can a ChucK script be written to take command-line arguments or read/write
> text to a file?  You could potentially write ChucK scripts to take
> command-line arguments that modify static data that is being read from in a
> running shred.

I believe this is possible, but haven't used it that way myself.
maybe Kassen knows better how to do it.

Steve