[chuck-users] Internet Jam Suggestion

Hans Aberg haberg-1 at telia.com
Wed May 18 17:55:07 EDT 2011

On 18 May 2011, at 13:09, Les Hall wrote:

> I'd like to address the topic of delay and synchronization during internet jams.  I feel that the very approach of trying to accomplish audio synch in the current medium of audio over the internet is somewhat inappropriate.  In a way it's kind of like trying to get flute sounds out of a guitar.  Maybe it's possible, but it's really not in the nature of the beast.

There is (or was) a system for musicians jamming together over the Internet with acoustic instruments. I think it works so that all data is sent to a central server which mixes it together and broadcasts it back to the musicians, which use headsets when playing. They experience a delay, but can learn to cope with it. Many musical instruments have a natural delay (like pipe organs), so this is just one variation.

Hans