[chuck-users] increase chuck memory usage

Robert Poor rdpoor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:25:27 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 16:04, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's cleanest sound-wise, not very hard and very ChucKist in structure.
> On the
> downside it's hard to guarantee that you won't run out of CPU that
> way.

Okay, the devil is in the details.  I actually had a fixed array of N of
instruments, and would steal the oldest instrument if the limit was hit.
There are other strategies.  For example, you can have a soft limit that
allow any number noteOn's, but start ramping down the oldest notes to keep
the number of instruments at or below N.

Ah, DSP... somehow it always starts interesting and then gets to
> choices that hurt a bit however you make them.

Totally off topic, but did everyone see the paper on the new 'faster than
fft' algorithms?

lightweight:
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/faster-fourier-transforms-0118.html
heavyweight: http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.2501v1