[chuck-users] Begin the beguine

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:53:06 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 02:36:20PM +0200, Alberto Alassio wrote:
> I was trying to open the otf examples you told me and I got a question
> about period.
> what does
>
> T - (now % T) => now;
>
> means?

The "%" operator means "modulo". X modulo Y means; the remainder of
dividing X by Y. So; "9 % 4" will be 1. Check?

What we are doing here is that we start counting in increments of T
since time 0. This line of code makes us wait for the next beat, being
a integer multiple of T. After all; (now % T) must be the time since
the last "beat", so "T - (now % T)" refers to the amount of time to go
until the next beat. The total expression will then advance time until
the next beat, more or less like you will wait a bit until falling in
on your guitar when entering a jam session.

That is actually exactly what happens in these examples; each file
will wait until the next beat, then start playing, so because they are
all aware of T and know we start at 0 they do not need to communicate
with each other about this.

Make sense now?