[chuck-users] Begin the beguine

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:16:53 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 07:33:30PM +0200, Alberto Alassio wrote:
> Now it does!it didnt' just because I didn't know anything about this
> remainder ( I was thinking you made a mistake and you wanted to write
> reminder and I was saying by myself, a reminder for what? ) but then i
> checked it out on the web and wiki helped me.

I can understand; after our first calculus lessons and we learn about
decimals we tend not to encounter remainders formally, certainly not
as something we'd like to see abbreviated as a single symbol. Once you
get it though, that line illustrates many of the nice things of
ChucK's way of dealing with time... and of course stuff that is
basically like modulo operator is all around us in our day to day
life.

> yes its' a little complicated but yes I understand , in a easier way it is
> what happens when you push the button in Ableton live and the clip waits to
> start with another.

Exactly. Well, starting a .ck file isn't that much harder than
dragging in a wave into Live, I'd argue... ChucK just invites you to
also look into the *how*, which is a bit more challenging.

If you like Live (I personally think it is quite nice, though I
stopped buying upgrades) you might like to see whether you can
implement Ableton's quantise settings in ChucK, then move on to stuff
like those "follow actions" that Live has. That kind of stuff is quite
possible. From there on you can get more fancy.... :-)

Happy ChucKing,