[chuck-users] Serial/Arduino & ChucK example

Steve Morris steve at judgement.com
Thu Jan 2 23:19:42 EST 2014

In case anyone is interested Firmata is two things. 1) It is a piece of
software that runs on Arduino that allows sensors to be read via a serial
port protocol. 2) The serial protocol is also called Firmata or the Firmata
protocol. The Firmata protocol has a more or less midi format (sysex) and
can be parsed by standard midi interpreters/parsers. I haven't looked at
the ChucK midi support but it may be that 95% of the code needed for a
Firmata client is already in that package. In fact it might be easiest to
implement a Firmata client as a special mode of the standard ChucK midi
package.

The nice thing about it is that the Firmata firmware gets serious
maintenance so you basically just load it to the Arduino and it works. It
can read most standard sensors that plug into the Arduino. It was
originally written to allow processing apps to read Arduino sensors and
display the results allowing processing to basically be a gui front end for
an Arduino. Firmata client libraries/plugins are now available in a variety
of languages including PureData as Alan mentioned earlier. It has become
the defacto way to access Arduino sensors from a remote host via a serial
port. ChucK absolutely needs someone to write a Firmata client library and
it should be bundled with the core ChucK package. It would make using
Arduino sensors in ChucK a simple plug and play, basically bug free
operation. A lot of work has already been done to connect various
sensors/controllers to music systems using Arduino/Firmata. Making all of
that work available to ChucK users would be a big win.

The protocol is documented here:

http://firmata.org/wiki/V2.3ProtocolDetails

Firmata doesn't solve every possible Arduinio interface need but it covers
95% of what most people want to do.

-steve aka zencuke