[chuck-users] Cannot assign array of Oscs to UGen[]

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Sat Jan 7 18:57:23 EST 2017

Hi Karim,

I wasn't aware before how this was supposed to work, but it appears ChucK
treats a literal array as an array of the most specific type that
encompasses all of its elements. Thats why an array of [SinOsc, SqrOsc,
TriOsc] automatically turns into Osc[].

On the other hand it is indeed not possible to use an array as an array of
its supertype. One reason for this is that x @=> A[0] should work for any
UGen x and UGen[] A but would be invalid if A is actually Osc[]. This kind
of error would be only detected at run-time and not at compile-time,
breaking compile-time type safety.

In your specific case you could take advantage of the first fact and do
something this:

[s0$UGen, s1, s2] @=> UGen A[];

But this doesn't generalize beyond determining the type of the array when
it is defined literally.

spencer

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 6:59 AM, Karim Sumun <sumun at pobox.com> wrote:

> Given the following declarations:
>
> SinOsc s0;
> SqrOsc s1;
> TriOsc s2;
>
> The following gives an error:
>
> [s0, s1, s2] @=> UGen A[];
> $ ... cannot resolve operator '=>' on types 'Osc[]' and 'UGen[]'...
>
> But the following works fine:
> [s0, s1, s2] @=> Osc A[];
>

> It is not a problem, but would like to understand this behaviour. It would
> seem that assigning to UGen[] would be ok because it looks like a
> superclass of Osc[].
>
> Aaah! Is this to do with co/contra-variance?

Spencer Salazar
Doctoral Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University

spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
+1 831.277.4654
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/