[chuck] Serial or USB access?

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Jan 19 11:11:15 EST 2005

On Jan 17, 2005, at 6:20 PM, Lance Boyle wrote:

> Of course there are FFT libraries around (FFTW, Apple's DSP library,
> etc.) but I wonder how hard it is to incorporate into ChucK.

FFT and other transforms (DWT, DCT) will make their way into ChucK
(eventually), and we also would like to import/access (parts of) audio
analysis frameworks such as MARSYAS...

> I apologize if this is covered in the docs, but I didn't see anything
> about adding external routines.

It is already possible to add unit generators and routines from C/C++
into ChucK (the STK ugens and the std/math/machine libraries are
imported in this way) - but of course this hasn't yet been documented.
It is mostly standard: header file and compiling into a .ckx
bundle/library,
which can be loaded dynamically at runtime.  Libraries like FFTW and
BruteFIR are good candidates to be imported soon.  But first, we should
document the thing.

You should not have to apologize for anything involving the ChucK
documentations at this time, since they don't much exist.  (Adam Tindale
and others are working hard to change this by version 1.2.0.0)

Best,
Ge!