[chuck] New guy, and questions

Paul Maddox (Mail LIsts) paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net
Tue Mar 22 16:12:24 EST 2005

Ge,

> Thanks!   ChucK is very young  and needs a lot of work.   Some of that
> is coming in the new release next week.

I look forward to downloading it and playing with it.

> zerox might not help you in this case, since the signal doesn't actually
> cross zero.

?
So what values does a sine wave move between? 0 and 1? Rather than -1 and 1?

> 1) go at close to sample rate (3::samp => now), and keep track of the
> last few
> samples (use .last to get the last sample computed), and test for the
> inflection when the signal "dips".

Yes, a good idea.

> I put a quick and dirty version on the wiki:
>
>    http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/index.php/ChucK_Program_Bad_VOSIM

Thanks, I'll have a look, to see if I can learn from it.

> 2) or: given the pulse width, keep this value and advance time by the
> same
> number of samp.  (pw::samp => now), and that should put you at the right
> place both in time and the signal.  You can move in this way to the end
> of
> each pulse, and modify the gain or width at this point, or set things
> to be
> silent and wait until the next series of pulse.  This is probably the
> most
> robust way.

I agree, it sounds the most sensible way too.

> 3) or: do everything by hand, and calculate the signal without sinosc.

Scary prospect :-)

> 4) surely, other ways exist.

Probably, that¹s what I hope to find with 'chuck'.

> Not natively.  The idea is that it should be straightforward to
> implement
> sequencers in ChucK, tailored to the needs of the programmer.  With the
> new release, this should be doable.

Great, thanks..

> Also, related to VOSIM: FOF's - we hope to put up some examples soon.

Great!!
I'll keep an eye out.

Many thanks for you help.
Paul