Meta Boot Loader

Scott C. Karlin scott at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Apr 19 20:27:07 EDT 2000

We'd like to begin porting our own operating system (Scout)
to the StrongARM core of the IXP1200.  To do this we'll
need a way to get code into the device.  We have a couple
of thoughts on this and would like to get some feedback
(especially from the Intel folks who are on the list).
We basically need a way to load a raw image into the core
and start running it.  We are not using VxWorks or eCOS.

Approaches:

   1.  Purchase or lease a NetROM device.
   2.  Use a device programmer to program the flash EEPROM.
       Is the flash in a socket?  The chip packaging looks
       unfamiliar.
   3.  Use a Meta Boot Loader.  This is code that runs
       under VxWorks.  The preprogrammed boot loader in
       ROM can load the meta boot loader which will, in
       turn, load our OS code.

Number 3 has the advantage that it is an all software solution.
The problem is that it appears to need a VxWorks executable
(the meta boot loader) but we aren't interested in purchasing
a license for this one little program.  Is this something
that someone else has done (or could do)?

-Scott

Scott C. Karlin                             Princeton University
Graduate Student                            Department of Computer Science
Voice: (609) 258-5386                       35 Olden Street
Email: scott at cs.princeton.edu               Princeton, NJ 08544-2087
WWW:   http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~scott