How to Boot the Ethernet Evaluation System?

Tammo Spalink tspalink at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Mar 27 14:42:57 EST 2000

Following the "Ethernet Evaluation System User's Guide":

I am trying to get a VxWorks image to load on the chip, but am having
no success.  Maybe someone has a suggestion as to what I should expect
or am not doing.

I have configured the system as follows:

> [VxWorks Boot]: p
>
> boot device          : eeE
> unit number          : 0
> processor number     : 0
> host name            : scout-7
> file name            : vxWorks
> inet on ethernet (e) : 128.xx.yy.100
> host inet (h)        : 128.xx.yy.27
> flags (f)            : 0x80
> target name (tn)     : ixp1200

By which I am intending that it should fetch the "vxWorks" file (the
one provided in /boardsuppoort/bin/vb on the CD) from the machine
scout-7(128.xx.yy.27) via TFTP.  It may use the IP address
128.xx.yy.100.

However, trying a load command results in:

> [VxWorks Boot]: l
>
> boot device          : eeE
> unit number          : 0
> processor number     : 0
> host name            : scout-7
> file name            : vxWorks
> inet on ethernet (e) : 128.xx.yy.100
> host inet (h)        : 128.xx.yy.27
> flags (f)            : 0x80
> target name (tn)     : ixp1200
>
> Early serial debug initialized
> muxLoad failed!
> muxLoad
>
> [VxWorks Boot]:

Thinking this might be the wrong boot device since the boot help says:

> [VxWorks Boot]: ?

... help stuff omitted ...

>  n netif               - print network interface device address

... help stuff omitted ...

> available boot devices:Enhanced Network Devices
>  dc0 eeE0
> [VxWorks Boot]:

I tried dc0 as well, with the same results.  Then I tried the following:

> [VxWorks Boot]: n dc0
> Network interface dc unknown.
> Cannot initialize interface named "dc0"
> [VxWorks Boot]: n eeE0
> Network interface eeE unknown.
> Cannot initialize interface named "eeE0"
> [VxWorks Boot]:

Repeating this process with a packet sniffer on, we did not see
anything that looked like it came from the system.  I think I am
stuck.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tammo