Trouble booting new ixp1200eb

Scott C. Karlin scott at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Nov 16 15:12:58 EST 2000

I am just now trying out the new ixp1200 evaluation board.
Apparently there has been some changed to the tftp procedure
between firmware revisions.

Here is the (correct) terminal output for my "Hello, World"
program on the *old* board.  (Note that I have removed duplicate
blank lines from the output for readability.)

=========================== OLD BOARD ===========================
Early serial debug initialized
muxLoad failed!
0x

                            VxWorks System Boot

Copyright 1984-1998  Wind River Systems, Inc.

CPU: Level One ixp1200eb - ARM IXP1200
Version: 5.4
BSP version: 1.0/948
Creation date: Feb 16 2000, 14:44:03

Press any key to stop auto-boot...
 0
auto-booting...

boot device          : eeE
unit number          : 0
processor number     : 0
host name            : scout-7
file name            : ixp1200a
inet on ethernet (e) : 128.112.42.102
inet on backplane (b): 0
host inet (h)        : 128.112.42.27
user (u)             : target
ftp password (pw)    : target
flags (f)            : 0x88
target name (tn)     : ixp1200a

Attached TCP/IP interface to eeE0.
Attaching network interface lo0... done.
Starting at 0x1000...

Hello, World!

Enter characters to be echoed:

Here's what happens with the new board.  (I am using the BootMgr
to point to VxWorks.)

=========================== NEW BOARD ===========================
Press space bar to stop auto-boot...
  0
BSP IXP Version: 1.0.1129, built on May 31 2000, 10:29:10
Early serial debug initialized
muxLoad

                            VxWorks System Boot

Copyright 1984-1998  Wind River Systems, Inc.

CPU: Intel ixp1200eb - ARM IXP1200
Version: 5.4
BSP version: 1.2/1
Creation date: May 31 2000, 10:29:10

Press any key to stop auto-boot...
 0
auto-booting...

boot device          : eeE
unit number          : 0
processor number     : 0
host name            : scout-7
file name            : ixp1200a
inet on ethernet (e) : 128.112.42.102
host inet (h)        : 128.112.42.27
user (u)             : target
ftp password (pw)    : target
flags (f)            : 0x88
target name (tn)     : ixp1200a

Can't load boot file!!
BSP IXP Version: 1.0.1129, built on May 31 2000, 10:29:10
Early serial debug initialized
muxLoad

[VxWorks Boot]:

What precisely does "Can't load boot file!!" mean?
Why would the old version work when the new version does not?

(Remember that we are not really using VxWorks.  There is a
possibility that the new firmware is more particular about the
content of the boot file but I'm not sure if the file is getting
transferred of the network.)

Thanks,
Scott