[ixp1200] Timer from microengines...

Sprajc, Barry barry.sprajc at intel.com
Tue Jun 5 15:07:01 EDT 2001

>From microcode, there is a cycle_cnt register which returns a 64 bit value
of the cycle count register.
It's latency is about that of an SDRAM instruction.  It has no interrupt or
signals associated with is, so
your left with polling this register or reading it on a per-packet bases

You could use an SA timer configured to fire off an IRQ at countdown, where
the IRQ handler count send an
inter_thread signal to one of the microengines.  You could swap out on the
signal, in which case your
microcode sleeps in that thread until the timer is fired off, or you could
use the br_signal instruction
that causes the microcode for that thead to branch when the inter thread
signal is fired off by the SA, allowing
you to perform other processing until the signal arrvives.

Hope this helps,

barry.sprajc at intel.com