AW: [ixp1200] SDK 2 ACE sample simulation

Mirko Benz benz at mephisto.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Apr 11 03:37:24 EDT 2002

Uday,

Of course it is not sufficient to simulate alone, but:

- Much of the functionality of the IDE is useless (e.g. for
optimization).
- How should one select a specific NPU (speed grade, memory ...) when
one can not simply evaluate them in a simulation?
- What about forthcoming chips?
- What about a customer that simply wants to evaluate different NPU
architectures for a specific project?
- How should one use external simulation models?
- What about a group of developers - one evaluation system for every
developer is a bit expensive.
- Most samples supplied require very little initialization from the SA
part.

What we did was to copy and modify old init scripts from SDK 1.x samples
and modify them as appropriate. Then we developed our new code in the
IDE and tested it afterwards in hardware (IXP12EB). Having to analyze
every memory access and reinventing the wheel slows down.

I hope this situation changes - where possible - for SDK 3.

Regards,
Mirko