[ixp1200] writing an application from scratch

Abhijeet Joglekar abhijeet at cs.utah.edu
Fri Jul 19 13:19:50 EDT 2002

> works on the board.  I'm wondering how do I start writing an application
> from scratch using the Inte's workbench (so that I can write code in Micro
> C and not in MicroCode).  I want to be able to use the work bench and
> debug code using the workbench's debugger similar to "ms visual c++."
> Thanks.

For using the workbench and the debugger with the ENP-2505 card, you would
need to do the following:
	- reserve a real IP address for the IXP card (Routable in your
	  network )
	- have another IP for the linux host side of the interface on the
	  same subnet.
	- enable ip forwarding on the linux host

Eg. if eth0 on the linux host is on the external network and eth1 is the
pciDg device to the IXP, then set up proxy arp for the IXP's network
address on eth0. This way, the linux host would do a proxy arp and then
forward packets to the IXP.

You should then be able to ping between the NT machine (which has the
developer workbench) and the IXP.

Once this is done, then to run an ACE sample (eg. tutorial1) using the
workbench -
	* set mode=1 (downloading via workbench in ixsys.config)
	* Then run ./ixstart as usual
	* once it runs, you would see files such as ue0syms, ue1syms etc.
          in / on the board. Basically, in the workbench mode, the
	  ixconfig app does not download the microcode, but creates these
	  files with the symbol info to be patched.
	* This file contains the nam=value pairs for symbols that need to
	  be patched into the microcode. Go to the workbench, define these
          symbols and rebuild the project.
	* Then download the .uof file generated by the workbench on to the
	  target.
	* Then send packets again, you should be able to see them been
	  recd. in the IXP

Hope this helps.

	- Abhijeet