[ixp1200] VERA on target (SA) linux

Scott C. Karlin scott at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri May 3 13:17:17 EDT 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:26:04AM -0700, Charles Chiou wrote:

> I am working on a project to adapt the VERA code (mainly the IPmm) to run
> on IXP1200's strongarm Linux in big-endian. This way, there will be no PCI
> interface to a Pentium host. I want to map the 8-port MAC controller to a
> logical network device in the kernel and treat them as normal ethernet
> devices. What is the best way to hook up (interrupt) to "packet receive"
> in Libixprouter or Runtime, so that the driver can be noified when a
> packet is avialable? Assumming that the cache table is empty and
> everything is a miss requiring an external forwarding...

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for.  The VERA Linux device
driver runs on the host on the other side of the PCI bus and communicates
with the custom VERA firmware that one must put into the board's
flash memory.  Since it seems that you want to run Linux on the StrongARM,
this device driver won't help.  I didn't write the microengine code,
but we don't really have a device driver running on the StrongARM to
interact with the microengines, per se.  Also, our IXP1200 environment
is little-endian.  There is an unknown amount of work required to test
and make sure it also works when compiled for big-endian operation.

Scott