[ixp1200] general programming framework

Gregory Prier greg at lever.cs.ucla.edu
Tue May 7 19:51:29 EDT 2002

I am working on a ENP-2505 from Intel which is based on the IXP.  With this card
came a bunch of disks with a bunch of programs.  I have having trouble
understanding how the entire system fits together, partly because the
documentation seems to be written for a different set up then what I am using.

The documentation describes running certain programs on an NT machine, certain
programs under cygwin, and certain programs on a separate linux box.  I don't
have multiple machines, though.  The ENP sits in a standard linux box and some
programs run in linux and some in windows running on vmware.  At this point I am
really confused.

I was hoping that someone who understood all of this could point me to some
documents that might explain how all of this works.  I have tried reading the
documentation from intel but as far as I can tell it doesn't describe my setup.
I have the IXP1200 programming book from Intel but it only discusses microACEs,
not the entire picture.  Can anyone explain the big picture and walk me through
how to run a hello world program on the hardware?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

GKP

Greg Prier                              Previously:      A Mudder
3564 Boelter Hall                       Currently:       A Bruin working
UCLA CA 90095                                            towards a PhD
(310) 825-8899                          After that:      No idea

"Hell, there are no rules here.  We're trying to accomplish something."
                                                        Thomas Edison