[ixp1200] microengine loader (w/correct URL)

Kenneth M. Mackenzie kenmac at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 11 14:47:53 EST 2002

[doh -- always check the URLs]

Hi all,

  Here's an updated package of our local tools, just updated to
include a microcode loader, etc. that we use to operate the
microengines from the StrongARM under Linux without ACEs or the
workbench.

	http://www.cercs.gatech.edu/projects/asan/software.html

  Note that the StrongARM tools (in the "utils/" directory) don't
depend on our alternative host-side driver scheme, I'm just packaging
them in one tarball.

----------------

  Various folks have asked about alternatives to ACEs.  We use three
schemes to program the microengines:

1. Homebrew tools including loader and etc., that run stand-alone
   under Linux on the StrongARM and communicate with the uEngines via
   Intel's "ue.o" kernel module on the StrongARM (same as used by
   rs_udebug with the workbench).  We also use command-line versions
   of the assembler and linker in this configuration under "wine" so
   it's an all-linux solution.

2. Intel's Workbench.  You can use this to load code onto the hardware
   instead of the simulator and it doesn't require ACEs (in fact it
   doesn't work with ACEs although it's not obvious that they should
   be incompatible).

3. ACEs

  Note: I would not characterize any of these three toolchains as
exactly "easy".  Each just offers its own kind of pain.  In other
words, don't switch toolchains just because you're frustrated with
ACEs.

-- Ken