[ixp1200] recycling NICs from IXP12EB's, gig NICs & multiple IXP12EB's in a PC (running VERA)

Andrew Moore Andrew.Moore at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 10:15:23 EST 2002

Q1.

I have vera working happily on an ixp12eb (rev C.), can the ethernet
board that comes with the ix12eb kit be recycled into a linux box?

I'm tempted to try, and did in fact do this, but the machine wasn't
happy booting so I figured it could be either the ancient machine I was
trying or something more fundamental in the ethernet nic that comes with
the ixp12eb.

Q2.

I'm interested in talking to people that have used vera and the 1 Gig
interfaces...

anyone out there?

I'm interested in using them for traffic generation, but would like to
talk to anyone who has done more than the basic "turn it on" and "yep
the physical layer is working" test.

Q3

 now this one might be a bit odd, however....

What problems are there with sticking several ixp12eb's into a machine?

I assume in its current incarnation the vera drivers are not aware of
several boards? (no I've not tried it)

any ideas what the load is for an ixp12eb? is it going to 'cause the
mobo pci supplies to be draining too much?

This would be for a "lots of ports" traffic generator.... although a
"lots of ports" might be good too.

cheers,
Andrew.

Andrew Moore, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge,
Ph: +44-1223-763446 Fax: +44-1223-334678
andrew.moore at cl.cam.ac.uk www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/awm22/