[ixp1200] Threads

Heaton, Eric D eric.d.heaton at intel.com
Tue Nov 26 23:26:10 EST 2002

Shruti,

Why is the thread swapped out?  That is, what signal is it waiting on?  That
will be the first clue to understand what's going on!

To find out, you need to query the CTX_X_WAKEUP_EVENTS and CTX_X_SIG_EVENTS
(X = thread number) family of CSRs.  And the easiest way to do that if
you've got the Developer's Workbench hooked up to the hardware, then you can
simply open up the "Thread Status" windown in debug mode.  If not, you'll
have to write some StrongARM code to query the StrongARM memory map (see
Appendix C of the IXP1200 PRM - Programmer's Reference Manual) or use your
favorite StrongARM debugger to do this.

If I had to guess, the thread is probably swapped out waiting for a packet
indicator.  Perhaps you haven't setup the global CSRs of the IXP1200 to
match the media buses on your hardware?  What code are you running on the
StrongARM?  It might be easiest to simply load the precompiled VxWorks image
in the IXA SDK v2.01 first to get the hang to using the hardware before you
try other configurations (ie. like the Linux code out there or something
homegrown!).  Good luck!

         --eric h.