[ixp1200] Problem running IXP1200 VERA apps

Magesh Kannan magesh at ittc.ku.edu
Fri Sep 27 14:33:24 EDT 2002

Hi,

> > When I invoke 'sgo ipmm.srec', the output on the board's serial port stops
> > abruptly. Here is the output.
> >
> > Calling my_main()
> > Starting uEngines and control program.
> >
> > --- Control_SystemStart
> > --- Contr
> > ==========================
> >
> > This happens irrespective of if I build the microcode with or without
> > VRP. The LED displays 0x25. The same happens with the application
> > PktGen. What have I done wrong here?
> >

> I don't think that you have done anything wrong.  Everything sounds like it's
> starting up fine until it stops. (The 0x25 in the LEDS is normal, if I remember
> correctly.)  This sounds like the program exiting early, either because of an
> error (like a segmentation fault), or something else.  How is the board
> crashing?  Is it just stopping, or is it resetting?
>
> How about putting a line like
>
> while (getc() != '\n');
>
> to find out where in the program the board is crashing.

I added these while loops before and after the following two statements in
IXP1200_Apps/IPmm/main.c

    Control_SystemStart(0, 0);
    Control_BootUEs(&rcv_uCode, &xmt_uCode);

The board seemed to hang immediately after returning from
Control_SystemStart and before calling Control_BootUEs. I added a couple
of led() function calls between these two statements. The LEDs displayed
the code that I had put in, but the very next statement (a while
loop) would hang.

Then I realized that the board had a flash image built on a machine with
RH 6.2 and Linux 2.2.19, though the board was now installed in a PC with
RH 7.1 and Linux 2.4.5 (I had to move the board to a new PC but forgot to
update the flash). Can this be a reason for the board hanging?

Anyway, I decided to update the flash with one built on the same machine
in which the board is now installed. Here is where I am stuck now. If I
invoke the flash utility from Flash/linux-386/bin/flash, I get the error
'Operation not permitted' (Vera and Vera_flash drivers are installed).

The following output is printed on the board's serial port

=====
Compile Timestamp: 12:51:23  on  Sep 27 2002
Command Line (argc = 3): ixp1200/sa/bin/flash.srec 0 0x0B1AE000
mode   = 0x00000000 (0)
kbba   = 0x0B1AE000 (186310656)
parse_opts passed
Uncaught exception Assertion failed raised at flash.c:61
aborting...
minimon mode.  Type ^C to exit minimon, ^X to discard line, ^R reset
=====

The assertion failure in flash.c is because the kbba value is NOT less
than 128 M (128*1024*1024)

How do I get around this problem and update the flash?

Thanks for your help,
Magesh