[ixp1200] Problem updating flash

Magesh Kannan magesh at ittc.ku.edu
Mon Sep 30 13:57:33 EDT 2002

Hi,

This is a follow-up to my previous mail on Friday, reporting a problem
while updating the flash of an IXP1200 evaluation board with a new VERA
image.

Tracking the problem back from where the assertion violation occurs at
Flash/ixp1200/sa/src/flash.c:61 (which checks if some bus address is less
than 128M), it seems this bus address is determined when the 'vera_flash'
driver is initially loaded (in the function init_module of
Flash/linux-386/driver/drvVera_flash.c). The address is actually a
translation of what is returned by __get_free_pages (Line 316 of
drvVera_flash.c)

The machine I am using has 256 MB of physical memory and the address
returned by __get_free_pages and hence translated by 'virt_to_bus' can be
between 0 and 256M. I am guessing that the code in flash.c assumes that
the host machine has only 128MB of memory and hence the sanity check on
the bus address. Is that correct?

Is the flash utility designed to work with only 128MB of memory? If not,
can I just modify the 'assert' call in question in flash.c and will flash
updation work fine?

Thanks,
Magesh