[ixp1200] Connectivity problems

Magesh Kannan magesh at ittc.ku.edu
Mon Sep 30 17:50:00 EDT 2002

Hi,

What kind of cabling is needed to connect the 10/100 ethernet ports on the
IXP1200 to an ethernet card on another PC? I tried CAT-5 crossover cable
but the LEDs on either card do not come on. I also tried straight through
cable. The orange LED on the IXP ethernet port blinks and the Link LED on
the other card also blinks, but it seems that connectivity is not fine.

Should the ports be explicitly brought up? I only added the MAC
and IP addresses of the two machines that I am trying to connect via the
IXP1200 to the route cache in ipmm.c. Ping from either machine does not
work and debug output on IXP's serial port does not seem to indicate any
packet reception.

Thanks,
Magesh