[talks] Fwd: C Wang preFPO - correction to Dec 7

Melissa M. Lawson mml at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Nov 30 15:08:26 EST 2011

The talk is really December 7th.  Sorry!
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Melissa M. Lawson" <mml at CS.Princeton.EDU>
To: "talks" <talks at lists.cs.princeton.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:42:54 PM
Subject: [talks] C Wang preFPO

Chong Wang will present his preFPO on Wednesday December 7
at 1PM in Room 302 (note room!).  The members of his committee are:
David Blei, advisor; Rob Schapire and Eric Xing (CMU), readers;
Christiane Fellbaum and Andrea LaPaugh, readers.  Everyone is
invited to attend his talk.  His abstract follows below.
--------------------------

Title: Hierarchical Bayesian modeling: models and inference algorithms

Hierarchical Bayesian models have become a popular tool for analyzing
large-scale real-world data, such as text and images. Through these
models, people can build useful tools for latent structure discovery,
browsing and recommendations. In this talk, I will present several
recent advances in the area of hierarchical Bayesian modeling, with an
emphasis on topic modeling, Bayesian nonparametrics and approximate
posterior inference. Specifically, I will talk about a novel model on
recommending scientific articles that provides an interpretable latent
structure for both users and items in a recommender system and then
present an online variational inference algorithm that scales up to
millions of articles on a single machine and also does model
selection. Finally, I will summarize with some ongoing work.